Monday, February 2, 2009

News on Gramps

Hey fam,

I just got off the phone with Mom and seeing as how her computer is still on the fritz she asked me to pass on the message about Grandpa. His tests came back and they were all good, so they think it's one of his many medications. They are in the process of taking him off certain ones to see if that helps. He's already doing so much better. Good news for him! 
Also, I just wanted to tell you guys about an experience I had the other day. I would consider myself to be moderately active. I mean I work out, but I could be much better. Well the other day I went into the wellness center here on campus to talk to my new clients for this semester. They aren't really my clients seeing as how I just assist the RD here on campus, but I think of them as my patients. Well, this new case that we have is a 19 year old girl who has been morbidly obese her entire life. She was telling us that she doesn't even know what it feels like to walk from one end of the room to the other without being out of breath. She has never gone running, swimming, biking, dancing or any of the fun things that I take for granted everyday! So, after we had our consultation with her I did her fat fold measurements. That was one of the hardest ones I have ever had to do! I've done them so many times before, but not someone so big and so close to my age. After she left the RD and I were in shock. Her story is so sad and she has all sorts of diseases and health problems. So, anyway it just really made me appreciate my body, and the fact that I can MOVE. In celebration of my new epiphany, I am planning on running a half marathon in April. I just started training. Ha ha a half marathon isn't even far especially to Jason cause he did a MARATHON and Heidi who runs like a mad man. But it's a big step for me. So don't let me slack. We could all run a 1/2 marathon as a family! Celebrate being able to get out of bed in the morning! If there are any of you out there that want to join let me know! I have a training schedule with your name on it! 
Anyway. That's pretty much all that's been going on with me. I hope everyone is doing great! Love you all mucho!

6 comments:

Heather said...

Thanks for the update! I hope he gets better, and I am relieved his tests look good. Good luck with the 1/2 marathon. Don't bother sending me the schedule. I have convinced myself that I have a touch of asthma and can't run that far.

Brittany said...

So I know that I am not part of your immediate family, but would you mind sending me a training schedule? I'm not promising that I will run a half marathon, but I would really like to do the training.

Thanks Hil Bug!

justin and sherrie said...

That's good to hear about grandpa. We just felt so bad for him last time we were there. So that is so nasty about that girl. Seriously, how do you let it go that far. I guess I'm just mean but come on. So that would be awesome to run a half marathon but that's a little soon for me and also, I just don't do well with competition. It would be fun to go jogging w/you sometime though! I'll make Justin watch Koy and we can go sometime. :)

Heidi said...

You should send me a schedule since I've been slacking off lately and I lack discipline. So this will be fun.

by Jana McMurdie said...

I know that you are probably thinking what is this stupid girl doing reading our family blog when clearly I am not family - what a creeper huh? (I really am not a creeper) but I wanted to see how your grandpa was doing and I am glad he is doing much better! Also, could you send me a schedule? I would love to do that!! If you could that would be most wonderful! Thanks again! And I promise not to post anymore lol
Jana Barker

by Jana McMurdie said...

ps my email is janaranee@gmail.com
thanks!