Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Change of Plans

Well, I think I'll start by apologizing to Jas and Heidi. I would often shake my head with how often you seemed to change your minds or wanted to change your minds. I have flirted with a few different ideas all along, but always convinced myself that I would just stay the course and finish what I started. I have come to grips with not getting in to vet school and with not finding a very good and enticing job in Fort Collins for a year. I'm sure people would love to hire me, they just don't know how they would go on living without me after one short year. Anyway, Sherrie has good insurance, we've almost met our yearly deductible, and I have a lot of horses to shoe here. These are all good reasons to stay, but I went and talked to a professor and he told me to get into a Master's program and re-evaluate after two years. At USU there are graduate programs called Departmental Assistantships, which means basically that they give you free tuition and a $1000-$1500 monthly pay for being TA or working in one of their labs. He told me that the positions are probably already filled, but even if they were that He would pay me instead. He said he has lots of money for his lab and would love to have me. So I talked to the Department Head and he said that there are actually 2 positions still open. Either way, my school would be paid for and I would have some money on top of that, plus all of the horses I still have to shoe. He said that the last guy to leave his lab with his PhD is making around $200,000 working with a company that does genetic engineered embryo transfers. Not bad eh? So if you are all making fun of us then feel free. We still think this is the best thing. There is a song that says something like, "If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans." This probably wont be our first change of plans either, but at least it's a start. 

8 comments:

Jennifer and Jason said...

You better apologize to my husband because he is the toughest of the Hall boys and he would muck your plow (he always says that and I still don't know what it means, but I know it's bad.) Come to think of it I have the best husband ever. He is ruggedly handsome, polite, considerate, loving, a great cook, and an amazing kisser. Our lives have all been blessed by his presence.

Brooke said...

Just...for what it's worth (and since I know I am your favorite cousin it's probably worth alot!!!) I think you are making a good decision. To me it sounds like things kinda fell into place for you and Sherrie and little baby Hall! I HIGHLY recommend USU for a master degree...maybe just I finished. Just promise me you'll walk this time. I highlighted your name in my graduation book becuase it was momentmous (two favorite cousins) graduating on the same weekend! Good luck with everything. I'm excited you guys will be closer. I need to see this cute baby Hall more! I'm sure I'll be his favorite 2nd cousin! (he he!!)

Hi Lary said...

Well I am glad that you guys are staying in good ol' Logan. It will make it a lot easier for me to become the favorite aunt. Even though I already am....but still! Good decision. Oh and Jenn sure has vocalized her love for Jason huh? Funny thing....it doesn't really sound like something she would say....hmm fishy.

Heather said...

Jason, the jig is up. Justin, it sounds like this is a great opportunity - one you would be foolish to pass up. Good for you!

Brittany said...

Just- I think that staying in Logan is a great Idea. However, I am a little bummed because FT. Collins is only and hour and and half from Laramie (we could have been BFF's). I know that you are doing what is best for you and it sounds like a great opportunity. GOOD LUCK!

justin and sherrie said...

Ruggedly handsome? Haven't you seen the ears on that guy? Do they call that blind love or what? Anyway, you're a better person than I am. Hey tell your handsome hubby to text me the stuff. He knows what I mean.

Heidi said...

I am upset. But I already told Justin this. I do not think that I have changed my mind any more than Justin has. Maybe I wanted to, however, since his argument is that he hasn't changed his mind since he got home from his mission, then I say that if I had gone on a mission at the same point in life that Justin did, then I would have had to be doing the same thing for a year....Wait a minute, I think I've done that!!! Anyway, have fun in Logan. Don't miss me too much. I'll be down here baking to death forever it seems like.

mom said...

I think you have a great opportunity right before your eyes and it is wise to go with it. I do feel a little sad because Ft.Collins might have been closer, but maybe not. I guess we wil just hve to make more trips to Logan so I can spoil the baby. Seriously, I think you will like doing this kind of work, and it is a real bonus if you like your job and can make a decent living. Press onward!