Monday, April 21, 2008

A worthy idea

I have been thinking lately about how easy it is for me to argue with everyone. I have many opinions, and if I do have an opinion then I am positive it is right. I think that it would be a good idea, not just because mom said it but because I have been thinking about it a lot lately, for me to not be demeaning or argue with every little thing. Heather mentions my comma use and I go over and over each and every future post just to make sure the grammar police doesn't pull me over. (I still maintain that comma use in a blog is somewhat subjective.) But enough already. I am going to take a vow of arguing silence. If a job doesn't pan out in CO then I'll probably apply to law school and argue for a living, but I am trying to just ignore the stupid little things that bug me. I know, how can anyone rationally believe that BYU doesn't "compel in all things?" much less not offer a comment about it. But I vow to try, unless of course, your idiocy is outright. It is kind of ironic that I am writing this "non-argument" post during a class where the lecturer is droning on and on about the "severe eye-sore" of the wind-mill generators that are all over the landscape in WY, MT, and some of UT. He even made points about how horrible the reflection is on power lines and how it would be best to paint the power poles and lines in order to decrease the reflection and contrast that they produce. In my heart I'd like nothing more than to beat the hell out of this guy, but alas, I must coral my anger and shut my mouth. AAHHH!!!!! 

3 comments:

mom said...

Justin, I'm so proud of your demonstration of humility and self-control. I, too, will try to do a better job of listening and not being critical. As a matter of fact, dad and I talked about this very thing a few days ago and decided to try to be better. Let me tell you, it is HARD. Yesterday we had a message from the guy that lives right behind the barn. He said he noticed his fence pole was leaning, so he went to check it out. Dad had wired one of the panels to his steel fence post. He sw it and undid it. He said he didn't want our panel wired to his post and he hoped our animals didn't get out and get hurt. I was fuming, and your dad was dumb-founded. We thought about all the things we would like to do and say, but decided we would take over a loaf of bread or cookies and apologize for our errant, wired panel. I guess we will try to kill them with kindness, through gritted teeth. Ahh, the lessons we get to learn can take a lifetime. Love ya, mom

Hi Lary said...

That is great Justin. I think I am going to have to test your resolve a little though....ha just kidding. I wish you the best. I can't imagine the inner turmoil you must have to go through so often to restrain yourself. You see, I have been blessed with such a calm, peaceful, and all around "nice guy" personality that I can't seem to relate to you at all. Actually that is a lie. I get annoyed with people on a daily basis......Sometimes on an hourly basis. Maybe we should all take a leaf out of Justin's book and try to have a little self control. I'll try!

Heidi said...

Justin, your intentions are quite noble. I, on the other hand, wish that I was a little MORE assertive with my opinion. I DO grumble and complain a lot, but it is all very passive-aggressive, and it would honestly just be better if I just said what I thought. For example, I couldn't get anyone to work for me on Sunday so I called in sick. I am sure no one believed me, and is it really better to avoid working on the Sabbath by lying? I'm not so sure. But I was just too much of a chicken to just tell them I wouldn't come in, even though I am not really too worried about the job. So there is my problem. I am getting better though. Anyway, good luck, everyone. I will try to do better about complaing AND be a little more assertive when I need to be!